Felix Homes’ Guide To Selling: Prep List
APRIL 4, 2019
You’re looking to sell your home but before you put it on the market, there’s some housekeeping that needs to be taken care of. Not sure where to start? Don’t worry because, at Felix Homes, we’ve come up with a checklist every seller should follow in order to get interested buyers to make top-dollar offers.
Tips for Your Home's Interior
1. When a prospective buyer visits your home, whether it’s a private showing or open house, you want to make sure your home flows. Keep it simple and avoid having too much furniture in one room. Eliminate any clutter so that each room appears open and spacious.
2. Clear everything off the kitchen counter, clean out every cabinet and drawer and, put unused dishes, pots, pans, clothes, and shoes in storage. Also, your closets should be uncluttered and spacious. Trust me, potential buyers will notice.
3. Make your furniture work for you. Choose a focal point in each room and set the furniture around it. This will not only make each room appear bigger but will give each room a purpose as well.
4. Brighten your rooms! I can’t stress this point enough. You want to allow as much natural light to brighten the house as possible. Make sure to keep your windows and screens clean and turn on the lights when potential buyers are looking at your property.
5. Freshen up your rooms by adding flowers and greenery. I’ve found that lavender works great to eliminate unpleasant odors and does a much better job at masking odors compared to heavy perfumes which can be overpowering.
6. Be sure to clean everything, especially the carpets, windows, light fixtures. If you want to get top dollar, it’s a good idea to spend $100 to shampoo your carpets and repair any dripping faucets or squeaky doors.
7. If you have a little more money to spend, consider replacing your carpets and drapes. Or, if your home has wood floors, make sure they’re polished and in good shape.
8. Try adding a large mirror near your home’s entrance to create a feeling of spaciousness.
9. Remember to remove personal items from rooms such as family photos. Buyers want to picture themselves in your home, without feeling your family’s presence.
Tips for Your Home's Exterior
1. This should go without saying but make sure to maintain and groom the landscape, especially if it’s visible from the street. Your lawn and shrubs should look well maintained and well watered. Curb appeal should not be overlooked. .
2. Consider hiring a power washing company to clean the driveway and walkway. Hire a local handyman to repair small cracks in the foundation or walkways which make your home’s entrance look old and worn. No buyer wants to see that.
3. Clean the garage and remove as much clutter from your garage as possible! If there are oil spots in the garage, clean them up.
4. Replace cracked windowpanes and check that your windows and doors open and close properly.
5. If you have vinyl siding that is dirty, clean it using a power washer. Also, remember to clean out your gutters and chimney.